ostuni.com - '98
Vai ai contenuti
It rises over the ruins of the former St. Francis closter Chapel which hosted the Franciscan convent fathers in the 14th century.  It was rebuilt in the second half of the 18th century, architect Gaetano Iurleo redesigning the new façade (1881-1883) according to the eclectic end-of-century style. The church is divided in two orders thanks to solid timber beams, enriched as it is by the classical portal with an tympanum hosting the icon of the Virgin in an oval frame. The side niches host the marble statues of St. Francis on the left and St. Anthony on the right, by the Ostuni sculptor Francesco Bagnulo (1935). The baroque interior shows walls with corner capitals in stucco works made by master Giuseppe Fasano in the end of the 18th century. It is decorated with paintings and altars, mainly dating back to 18th century, and richly furnished with wooden statues. It’s also worth a mention the statue of St. Joseph with child, donated by Duchess Geronima Zevallos (end of 17th century), whose family had been governing Ostuni since 1639.

© 2017 Copyright Ostuni.com - P. Iva: 01759350745
All rights reserved | partners | credits
Torna ai contenuti