ostuni.com - '98
Vai ai contenuti
It was made of local stone in Rocaille style by Giuseppe Greco and erected between 1756 and 1771 by will of Ostuni University. The  is about 100 ft high.An epitaph in Latin can be read on the south-ward side of the first basement: “Divo Orontio / patrono / in obsequim / cives et populus /dicarunt / anno MDCCLXXI " – an homage of the Ostuni people to the saint who had put a stop to the deadly famine and the plague in the 17th century. At the four corners of the second basement of the  are the statues of other protecting saints: St. Irene, St. Gaetano, St. Lucy e St. Augustine.

© 2017 Copyright Ostuni.com - P. Iva: 01759350745
All rights reserved | partners | credits
Torna ai contenuti