ostuni.com - '98
Vai ai contenuti

Menu principale:

ITINERARI ARTISTICI
THE MADONNA DELLA NOVA SANCTUARY
It is located on the bottom of a basin, a sort of a gully (lama) anciently used as a shelter by savage animals (li furchi). It was built in 1561 on an ancient crypt and presents a square façade surmounted by trilobal archs, a splayed portal and a rosette framed with floreal and human motifs. The interior is richly frescoed, partly in Byzantine style; on the left wall of the inner chamber are frescoes of St. Maria della Nova with the Holy child in her lap, St. Bernardino from Siena, and another undefined saint. Several images are to be seen in the crypt: The milking Madonna, the Nikopeian Madonna, along with figures of womanly saints, the Deesis – the scourging of Christ and his crucifixion.

© 2017 Copyright Ostuni.com - P. Iva: 01759350745
All rights reserved | partners | credits
Torna ai contenuti | Torna al menu