ostuni.com - '98
Vai ai contenuti

Menu principale:

ITINERARI ARTISTICI
THE ST. MARY OF MERCY CHURCH
It was built 1849-1857 by architect Domenico Ciraci where an ancient Chapel used to lie which was dedicated to St. Mary of Mercy, formerly invoked by puerperal women during pregnancy. The neo-renaissance façade has a portal in local stone with classical mouldings. The internal areas follow the pattern of a Greek cross like plan with a central cupola. The marmoreal writing above the vestry access door recalls the building of the parish in 1832 and its reconstruction thanks to the donations of poet Incalzi and Bishop Planeta. St. Mary of Mercy is depicted on a canvas hanging on the main altar wall; two papier-maché statues of St. Lucy and St. Anthony from Padova (19th century) occupy the two niches at the sides of the first left altar.

© 2017 Copyright Ostuni.com - P. Iva: 01759350745
All rights reserved | partners | credits
Torna ai contenuti | Torna al menu