and withered during the Aragon period (1487-1507) it embodies the
Medieval Village already fortified by the pre-existing Frederick’s and
Angevin’s walls. Largely destroyed by the 1743 earthquake, the walls
were destined to civilian houses and preserved eight of the ancient
towers. Only two of the ancient doors remain: Porta Nova, facing West,
and Porta San Demetrio West of the city walls.