THE ST. MARY OF MERCY CHURCH It was
built 1849-1857 by architect Domenico Ciraci where an ancient Chapel
used to lie which was dedicated to St. Mary of Mercy, formerly invoked
by puerperal women during pregnancy. The neo-renaissance façade has a
portal in local stone with classical mouldings. The internal areas
follow the pattern of a Greek cross like plan with a central cupola. The
marmoreal writing above the vestry access door recalls the building of
the parish in 1832 and its reconstruction thanks to the donations of
poet Incalzi and Bishop Planeta. St. Mary of Mercy is depicted on a
canvas hanging on the main altar wall; two papier-maché statues of St.
Lucy and St. Anthony from Padova (19th century) occupy the two niches at
the sides of the first left altar.